The Fedora 16 Roadmap is set. The version is codenamed ‘Verne’ named after Jules Verne. It comes with even more great features. After the dispute with Ubuntu and Gnome team fedora considered as a decent rock solid distribution with Gnome Shell interface. Fedora 15 performed with an unbreakable desktop than unity. The new features of fedora 16 includes lot of features
Linux 3.0 Kernel
The new kernel 3.0 is the base of fedora 16. From the words of Linus Torvalds there is nothing new all things are regular. But still it got a new numbering version and gives a fresh look.
We are moving up. More gnome is coming. The main drawback of gnome shell is there is no room for customization. But lot of extensions and themes contributed to gnome. The GNOME 3.2comes with more exiting features. A revamped login screen, some menu changes, Input integration, handle for plug and play devices and more…
New KDE workspace integration with some great new launchers and plasma. Rebase to KDE Plasma Workspace 4.7. including Plasma Desktop and Netbook workspaces,
The fedora 16 is switching to grub 2. Makes some changes in the confiugration files and boot directory.
Also fedora is officially packing the blender 2.5. The latest and greatest 3D and Non Linear Editing software in Free software world.
BTRFS default filesystem The BTRFS will the default file system for fedora 16. And the Eclipse is moving the its new version indigo. The list also includes TigerVNC 1.1, USB Network Redirection, Unified Problem Reporting UI,
The release schedule says that we will get the first alpha on 2011-08-16 . May be some small slips expected and those are usual. The final release date will be 2011-10-25. Nearly after one month of the release of the Ubuntu 11.10.
Also more great changes are coming in 2011 are Gimp 2.8 with a great UI.
Highlights of Fedora 16 Alpha:
· Linux kernel 3.0;
· The GNOME 3.1 desktop environment;
· KDE Software Compilation 4.7
· Systemd services management;
· SELinux improvements;
· 1000 System accounts;
· Added Chrony NTP client;
· Removed HAL;
· Removed ConsoleKit;
· Automatic Multi-seat support;
· Support for cloud computing;
· Restored support for Xen;
· Enhanced Spice 0.10 app to manage virtual machines;
· Many improvements for developers;
· Aeolus Conductor;
· Blender 2.5;
· Boost 1.47;
· Glasgow Haskell Compiler 7.0.4;
· Haskell Platform 2011.2.0.1;
· GNOME Input integration;
· libvirt networking support improvements;
· New mkdumprd for kdump;
· Perl 5.14;
· Static analysis of CPython extensions;
· Sugar 0.94;
· TigerVNC 1.1;
· USB Network Redirection.
September 27th, 2011 – Fedora 16 Beta release
November 1st, 2011 – Fedora 16 final release
- Fedora 16 To Use Btrfs Filesystem By Default (linux.slashdot.org)
- Ubuntu or Fedora, Which is Better Linux Distro. (ashokabhat.wordpress.com)
- How-to-upgrade-fedora-using-preupgrade/ (technologychick.wordpress.com)
- Gnome 3 on Fedora 15 Broke After an Update!? Don’t Panic. (shelladept.wordpress.com)
- Linus Torvalds would like to see a GNOME fork (zdnet.com)
- How to Install Gnome 3 In Ubuntu (maketecheasier.com)