GIMP – Gnu Image Manipulation Programme – Software behind GTK (GIMP Tool Kit) Version 2.8 Released. It was long two years development after the release of GIMP 2.6. The development is finished. The official announcement is on the official website gimp.org. Now GIMP 2.8 sources are available for download.
The New Version GIMP 2.8 Brings long awaited feature like Single window Mode. Now you can choose Single window mode or Multi Window Mode for editing. Apart from that GIMP 2.8 features On Canvas Editing, multi-column dock windows, a new set of brushes, Tabbed Image Open Interface etc. The new GIMP is very fast comapred to 2.6
Track the official development process on http://tasktaste.com/projects/Enselic/gimp-2-8.
New features in GIMP 2.8 (stable):
Check the features page on gimpusers.com
- Single Window Mode: you can finally use a single main window instead of overlapping floating windows. This is optional and can be turned on from the Windows menu.
- On-canavas text editing: editing text is not performed in a separate window anymore.
- Multi-column dock windows which makes the GIMP UI a lot more customizable
- Improved screen real estate for dockable dialogs
- Using “Save” now saves the file in the GIMP XCF format and it can’t be used for saving PNG and other files. For non-XCF file types, you now have to use the “Export” menu entry.
- You can now create layer groups which can be organized in tree-like structures
- Brush system and tool preset improvements
- You can now tag brushes and patterns
- New slider widgets
- A new set of default brushes and tool presets from Ramon Miranda (from GIMP Paint Studio)
- Brushes can now be rotated
- New open window navigation which displays a small preview for each tab
- Tools rendering on canvas have been ported to Cairo to provide smooth antialiased graphics
- A new “Lock Pixels” feature
- Support loading 16bit (RGB565) raw data.
- Export color values to CSS, PHP, Java, Python or plain text
- Core integration of the graph-based GEGL library
- Export to PDF
- New tool: Cage Transform which makes it possible to easily warp parts of objects using an adjustable user-defined polygonal frame
- Many others
Install GIMP 2.8 in Ubuntu
There is no official PPA for gimp for now. The GIMP 2.8 RC1 is only available now. It is very much close to the stable release.
sudo apt-get remove gimp-plugin-registry
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:otto-kesselgulasch/gimp sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install gimp
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
Revert the changes (go back to GIMP 2.6.x)
sudo apt-get install ppa-purge sudo ppa-purge ppa:otto-kesselgulasch/gimp
GIMP Official FTP Server : ftp://ftp.gimp.org/pub/gimp/v2.8/
|gimp-2.8.0.tar.bz2||19671 KB||05/02/2012||02:44:00 PM|
|gimp-2.8.0.tar.bz2.md5||1 KB||05/02/2012||02:44:00 PM|
On Fedora the Gimp 2.8 is coming on Fedora 17 release.
- Install GIMP 2.8 RC1 from PPA [Ubuntu 12.04] (ubuntuvibes.com)
- GIMP 2.8 (Stable) Finally Available For Download (Webupd8)
- Finally – GIMP 2.8 has been released!(Gimpusers)
- How to Install GIMP 2.8 RC1 in Ubuntu (ubuntuvibes.com)
- Gimp 2.8 Review (aboutlinux.info)
- GIMP 2.10 To Be Fully Ported To GEGL Core (phoronix.com)
- GIMP 2.8 RC 1 arrives with GPU acceleration (h-online.com)
- GIMP 2.8 Released (omgubuntu.co.uk)
- GIMP 2.8 Released, Install from PPA (ubuntuvibes.com)
- GIMP 2.8 Image Software Adds Single-Window Mode (pcmag.com)
- Did Hell Freeze Over? GIMP 2.8 Released (phoronix.com)
- GIMP 2.8 finally released with single window mode (linuxuser.co.uk)
- Gimp 2.8 (amitcs.wordpress.com)